Sal Meijer Sandwich Shop came into being in 1957, after Sal took over the premises of Restaurant Quirios in the Jodenbreestraat. At that time, there was also a butcher’s shop next to the Restaurant, where kosher deli meat under Beth Din supervision could be purchased.
After the Second World War, the Jodenbreestraat was one of the prime locations where Jews would meet and converse.
After Sal’s acquisition of the Restaurant in 1957, his son, Nico, carried on the tradition, operating the butcher’s shop, beginning in 1961. Changing conditions in the Jodenbreestraat caused Sal to make a move to Nieuwmarkt 13 in 1964.
Picture off the opening new location Nieuwmarkt
The move to Nieuwmarkt infused new life into the shop, and, slowly but surely, âbroodje Meijerâ (the Meijer sandwich) became a household name in Amsterdam .
People came from far and wide to sample what they had heard about from others and, to paraphrase the local newspaper of the time: a person who visits Amsterdam and doesn’t try a Meijer salt beef sandwich is like someone who visits Amsterdam and does not go to see the Nachtwacht.
Daughter Marjan married Maurits Blog in 1972, and they joined the family Sandwich Shop tradition. At the end of the seventies, with the construction of the Metro line and when fashion outlets moved to the Design Centre, business declined, and it became increasingly difficult to reach the Nieuwmarkt by car. Sal decided that âenough was enoughâ and son-in-law Maurits took over the business.
Maurits, a graduate of the Hotel School , decided after working in the Nieuwmarkt location for a year, to move to Scheldestraat 45. The butcher shop, run by son Nico, had moved to the Scheldestraat at an earlier date.
To give the term âbroodje Meijerâ more clout, Maurits and Marjan decided from the outset to increase the menu selection. Fish cakes, gefillte fish and salads have been added with success to the selection
20 oktober 1984 Foto Sal Meyer Elsevier
Quality and nostalgia have always served as criteria for Maurits and Marjan. All items are still hand made. From liverwurst to salads, every item is made on the premises. .
Maurits and Marjan have succeeded, just as Sal did, in giving the term âbroodje Meijerâ worldwide recognition.
Last days at the Scheldestraat
Contract signed in December 2015 by Maurits and Marjan Blog and Claudia Koppert
Scheldestraat is festive closed.
Finding a new location
15 augustus 2016. Our new location Buitenveldertselaan 114 Amsterdam
16 augustus 2016 interview Maurits Blog en Martijn Koppert met AT5 at the new location Buitenveldertselaan 114
Mid august 2016. The renovation is about to begin
It’s a lot of work!